Intern Program at Mercy Corps Nigeria – Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the Mercy Corps Nigeria Internship Recruitment 2019/2020 Program. Interested candidate(s) ought to follow us on this page as we give you step by step guidelines that will enable you secure this chance.
Intern Program at Mercy Corps Nigeria | Exp. Job Recruitment
- Mercy Corps Nigeria Internship Recruitment 2019/20.
- Job Title: MAIDA Program Intern
- Job Title: Program Intern
- Job Title: Ethics & Assurance Manager
- How to Apply Mercy Corps Nigeria Internship Recruitment 2019/2020
- Application Form Online.
- About Mercy Corps Nigeria.
Mercy Corps Nigeria is recruiting suitably qualified candidates to fill the following internship and experienced positions:
Job Title: MAIDA Program Intern
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00060
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Length of Internship: 6 Months
Dates of Internship: 20th May, 2019
- The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State.
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way. Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective.
- First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities. In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives. These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
- Finally, overall, social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource; management will be improved in areas of displacement and return.
- Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding.
- Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
- This position will offer the intern an opportunity to understand what Mercy Corps stands for as well as understand the Humanitarian program in Borno State. Working in the MAIDA department, the Intern will be able to learn how to plan and prioritize work schedule in a fast demanding work environment, in addition to working with participants of the different component of the program and the community in general.
- The Intern will work with other team members in MAIDA as well as other programs and should be able to develop good working relationship with the rest of the team.
- Major part of the job responsibility will be to support program staff in the general program implementation and support with the logistical arrangements of moving to the field and participating in community sensitization.
Under the direction of the Program Coordinator, the Intern will be responsible for the day to day support to the department specifically:
- Work with the program assistant’s in collecting and compiling all the documents ensuring they are filed both in hard and soft copy.
- Under supervision raise PR’s for hotel bookings for any trainings and workshops
- Track all the items that shall be purchased for the use of program activities such as training material, and refreshments
- Support in conducting spot checks for program activities periodically, whilst collecting data on attendance and entry into the database
With the support of the assistant’s, track MAIDA costs and take the department’s inventory and make request in time
- Support implementation of community engagement activities in collaboration with the program team.
- Support with organization of meetings with relevant stakeholders and guide the project staffs to the various meeting points as required.
- Support program officers to ensure progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Support in the coordination in target geographic areas.
Perform other tasks as required.
- With the support of program officers, contribute to all fieldwork, including monitoring and supporting beneficiaries during spot checks coordinating with community leaders
- Support in conducting monitoring and data collection as directed by the Program Coordinator assisting with specific surveys or assessments as needed
- Support the program assistants in tracking costs as well documentation and filing of all program related files
- Work together with the team to develop movement plans, raise PR’s for materials and hall hire
Job Requirements for Intern Program at Mercy Corps
Ideal Candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- BA/S in relevant field preferred
- Good organization skills.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good oral and written skills and computer skills
- Strong computer skills on MS office programs
- Fluency in English and Hausa is required
Working Conditions and Remuneration
- The program has lots of activities to be implemented that need to be completed within strict timelines. The intern will be expected to work beyond the normal working hours some days and should be able to cope with pressure of doing every task fast, effectively and efficiently.
- Office space as well as working equipment is limited and Intern will have to cope with sharing space as well as equipment with the other team members.
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive: 60,000 NGN per month
- Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with: transport, meals, accommodation
Application Closing Date: 15th May, 2019.
Job Title: Program Intern
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00059
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Dates of Internship: ASAP
Length of Internship: 9 months
Interns Supervisor & Contact Information: Program Manager- Food for Peace
- The Program intern will be based in Maiduguri and will work under the direct supervision of the Program manager, Food for Peace to support program department of Mercy Corps Nigeria
- The successful candidate will undertake Program duties working in close collaborations with other program team members as well operation.
At the end of the Internship period, the intern should have acquired the following skills and knowledge:
- Develop a working knowledge of humanitarian programming
- Have a good knowledge of program Filing system and report writing
- Have a good mastery of IT skills
- Cultivate interpersonal skills and ability to multitask
- Read all assigned literature
- Work collaboratively with other program team members to ensure necessary program planning, resource availability and management activities function smoothly and efficiently.
- Maintain files and support the dissemination of project information among the team.
- Regularly update program files (electronic and hard documents) meeting minutes and technical documents in line with MCN requirement
- Maintain physical and computerized official documents for the project.
- Supports trainings and workshops.
- Scan a soft copy of all documentation before it is handed over to program and finance for payment
- Conduct research and information gathering on the humanitarian situation to support the FFP program objectives
- As required, support in raising requests to procurement and finance on information/communication tasks and other Program activities.
- Perform basic administrative duties such as replying emails and managing schedules, while also assisting in budget tracking and event planning.
- Maintain program calendars and sends out reminders of impending appointments.
- Attend program staff meetings and takes minutes.
- Assist in planning, developing travel documents and overseeing special events
- Perform any other reasonable duties that deem necessary as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications for Intern Program at Mercy Corps
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- A B.Sc /B.ED/B.A or HND in relevant field.
- A demonstrated ability to multitask and process information into action in a timely manner
- Ability to use the following Microsoft Productivity tools Excel and Word
- Fluency in English Language
- The intern will be expected to work 40 hours a week
The intern will be paid a monthly allowance of N60,000
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with his/her Internship in Mercy Corps Nigeria
Application Closing Date: 15th May, 2019.
Job Title: Ethics & Assurance Manager
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2019/0010
Location: Abuja with frequent travel to field locations
Position Category: Full-time
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation.
- With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
- The Nigeria country program has grown considerably over the last few years, and is now the fifth largest Mercy Corps country program, with a mixed grant & programming portfolio.
General Position Summary
- The Ethics & Assurance Manager will serve as the Mercy Corps Nigeria focal point for ensuring compliance with Mercy Corps’ Code of Ethics and ethics policies and procedures. He/she will examine, review, and analyze records, reports, financial information and management practices to ensure compliance with laws, regulations and Mercy Corps’ policies and procedures and will investigate potential violations of the Code of Ethics.
- The Ethics & Assurance Manager will assist the country management team in developing, implementing and monitoring effective financial and operational controls over activities and offices to mitigate risk.
Essential Job Functions
Code of Ethics Incident Response:
- Following Mercy Corps’ policies and procedures, serve as country focal point for the internal reporting of any allegations of Code of Ethics violations, including fraud, corruption, bribery or human trafficking.
- Maintain the country Corruption Incident Register and liaise with the Headquarters Ethics team, and other teams as needed, in the resolution of all reported incidents.
- As agreed with the Headquarters Ethics department, conduct inquiries and investigations to determine the facts, circumstances and scope of any allegations raised.
- Collect, analyze and document the results of investigations and communicate observations and recommendations with the collaboration of the Country Director and senior management team, as appropriate.
- In coordination with the Headquarters Ethics team and the country management team, assist in the preparation of any final reports to fully document the investigation and resolution of incidents.
- Liaise with program teams in implementing the country Complaints Response Mechanism (CARM).
- Respond to Code of Ethics violation referrals received through the CARM.
Code of Ethics Training and Awareness:
- Assist the country management team with the implementation of new Headquarters or country Code of Ethics policies and procedures, acting as a catalyst for change and acceptance and supporting smooth implementation.
- In coordination with established on-boarding processes, assist with the on-boarding of new country team members to ensure awareness and understanding of Code of Ethics policies. Conduct and/or coordinate regular anti-corruption, fraud prevention and other Code of Ethics trainings for country staff and partners.
- Assist the country management team in determining effective and efficient solutions to operational issues that ensure compliance with Mercy Corps’ policies and donor regulations, mitigate the risk of fraud or corruption, and also facilitate the achievement of program objectives.
- Assist program, operations and finance teams with implementing standard procedures or, as necessary, developing and documenting enhanced procedures for high-risk program activities, in particular those providing a direct financial benefit to participants (e.g. vouchers, cash distributions), requiring high value procurement, or the distribution of in-kind goods.
- In coordination with the country management team and program managers, maintain the country-level Risk Register to identify key risks and document strategies to mitigate these risks. Manage the quarterly update process and ensure communication of action plans.
- In coordination with relevant teams, perform periodic internal control reviews of in-country financial, procurement, human resource, and logistics procedures in both the main country office and field offices. In coordination with program and monitoring and evaluation staff, conduct field reviews of program activities to ensure that adequate controls are in place and are functioning properly. Communicate findings and work with the relevant departments to correct weaknesses and improve controls as needed.
- As agreed with the program and finance teams, advise on the development of monitoring plans for partners, including subrecipients, key vendors and other partners that must adhere to ethics policies. In coordination with relevant teams, perform periodic compliance reviews of partners.
- In coordination with the country management team and HQ Finance, assist with the follow-up and resolution of external audit or Mercy Corps Internal Audit findings.
- Perform other related special projects and duties as determined and assigned by management.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: TBD
- Reports Directly to: Country Director
- Works Directly with: Headquarters Ethics team (with authority for Code of Ethics reporting and investigation matters), country SMT, Program Directors/Managers, Finance and Operations teams, HR Managers and all MC Nigeria staff.
Knowledge and Experience for Intern Program at Mercy Corps
- B.Sc in Finance, Accounting or a related business field is required; and an advanced degree is a plus;
- 5 years+ related work experience with a not-for-profit organization implementing international programs;
Strong background in compliance, systems and internal controls;
Relevant experience in fraud investigation or auditing. Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designations are strongly preferred.
- Solid understanding of a wide-range of ethics violations, including fraud, corruption and human trafficking in humanitarian and/or development settings; Understanding of best practice in ethics management and accountability within INGOs, including best practices for investigations of ethical violations;
Demonstrated experience in successfully working with administrative and program staff at all organizational levels;
Solid organizational and research skills with a broad understanding of various program sectors and activities;
Demonstrated experience in financial and operational data analysis;
Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel;
Fluent written and oral communication in English. Fluency in Hausa is a plus.
- The successful Ethics & Assurance Manager will possess an exemplary professional standard of ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures and external regulations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders on sensitive and confidential matters is necessary along with the ability to navigate difficult circumstances with a calm demeanor, in an analytical and methodical manner.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- A broad understanding of humanitarian and development programs coupled with the ability to analyze financial operational data and clearly present conclusions and recommendations is essential.
- The humanitarian objectives of Mercy Corps’ programs may require flexibility in working hours and frequent travel to field offices, program sites and subrecipient locations.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
Application Closing Date: 14th May, 2019.
How to Apply Mercy Corps Nigeria Internship Recruitment 2019/2020 Application Form Online.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document not more than four (4) pages long, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
All applications must include the position title and reference in the subject line.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
About Intern Program at Mercy Corps.
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.